Media members wishing to film at the airports for news programs should contact the Airports Authority Media Relations Office prior to arriving at the airport.
Guidelines for ALL Parking and Live Shots
- All space is first come-first serve and can not be reserved in advance. Limit: One vehicle per news outlet. Please notify us when dispatching a news crew to the airport.
- Filming must not interfere with passenger flow or airport operations - if filming inside the terminal, equipment must be attended at all time and should take up no more than 50 square feet (a smaller footprint is required in confined or busy locations)
- Media personnel must park all crew vehicles, equipment vehicles and personal vehicles in the public parking facilities. Parking along the curb or media pad is subject to ticketing and towing.
- Television trucks providing a live shot or satellite feed may park in designated locations listed below.
- Cabling must not impede pedestrian traffic flow. No cabling is allowed through doorways or across walkways.
- The Airports Authority reserves the right to restrict media activity at any location on airport premises if public security, safety, or operational concerns so warrant.
For all "unmarked" live trucks - especially models resembling regular passenger vehicles - display a plainly visible placard in the windshield with:
- The name of the media outlet
- A phone number where a contact can immediately be reached to verify the news assignment
News crews violating these requirements could be ticketed, towed or asked to relocate or leave the airport
Liveshots at Reagan National Airport
Live Trucks may park on the upper roadway level in front of Terminal B/C adjacent to the north or south terraces. Due to Project Journey construction, parking on the north terrace is preferred, while very limited on the south terrace. Any media parking on the south terrace must park behind cones in the third parking spot away from Door 1. Parking is provided for live trucks only – no other crew vehicles. In the event of large numbers of live trucks, the Airport Operations Office and Airport Police will direct trucks to alternate areas. There are no designated live truck parking locations at Terminal A, but space may be temporarily allocated there if specific needs arise.
Aerial View of Reagan National
Standups at Reagan National Airport
Media crews are permitted to film standups in select areas of the airport and should adhere to the guidelines below.
- Stand Up Locations Near TSA Checkpoints (DCA)
- Stand Up Location Inside Door 6 (DCA) - Reduced During Construction
Liveshots at Dulles International Airport
Live Trucks may park on the media pad located at the west end of the Main Terminal upper (ticketing) level. No other crew vehicles allowed.
Aerial View of Dulles International
Additional Live Shot Camera Location at Dulles
News media looking for locations with the runways in the background may film from the top floor of Garage 2 (view IAD Parking Information). The live truck can be parked on the media pad or a legal parking space on the top floor of the garage. Cable from the media pad may then be run along the outside of the walkway, up the side of the building to the roof - a 300 ft. throw. Filming from this location must be coordinated in advance with the Media Relations Office.