Student tours of Washington Dulles International Airport are offered year round on a first come, first served basis. Tours are not available on federal holidays or during the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and the 4th of July. Tours are restricted to student groups only. Please read the information below before requesting your tour.
To reserve a tour at Dulles, please complete the tour request form. Then click the "Submit by Email" button at the top of the form. You may also fax the form to 703-572-6817. If you have any questions, please call 703-572-6860.
Safety and Security
Students will learn how the Airport provides for the safety of its passengers. Students will tour the security screening checkpoint and one of the airport's fire stations. They will also see a demonstration of the MWAA Police K-9 explosives detection team and meet some of the members of the MWAA Police Community Liaison team.
Schedule: First Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:30pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 5-18
Path of a Passenger
Students will have the opportunity to follow the path of a traveling passenger and learn first hand what they need to do when catching a flight at the airport. Students will speak with an airline representative about topics such as ticketing, checking luggage, finding their gate, etc. Students may also speak with the Transportation Security Administration about the security checkpoint process. Due to security regulations and time constraints, we cannot guarantee that students will get on an airplane during the tour.
Schedule: Second Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:00pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 7-13
Students with an expressed interest in aviation can learn more about how an airport operates. Students will visit the Airport Operations office to question employees about aviation technology and practice. Students may also learn about the different careers available at an airport.
Schedule: Third Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:00pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 14-18
Dogs of Dulles
Students will have the opportunity to see demonstrations by the different types of K-9 teams that work at Washington Dulles International Airport and learn for what kinds of things the dogs search. This includes MWAA Police and TSA dogs trained to detect explosives, and Customs and Border Protection dogs trained to detect drugs and agricultural products.
Schedule: Fourth Thursday of the month, 10:00am-12:00pm
Suggested Age: Best suited for ages 5-12
- Reservations must be received at least two weeks in advance of your participation date.
- Tours are not guaranteed until you receive a confirmation from the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority detailing your participation date and program guidelines.
- Groups should have between 10–25 students to participate. Groups larger than 25 students cannot be accommodated on one tour. Please contact us to see if we can accommodate your group on multiple dates.
- Tours are subject to change or cancellation based upon weather, Airport conditions, and staffing availability.
- MWAA requires at least one chaperone for every ten students. We suggest one chaperone for every five students for students under the age of eight. A maximum of 4 adults on any one tour is allowed.
- Adults will need to bring government-issued photo identification on the day of the tour.
Tour Program Evaluations
Your feedback is essential to this program. After your tour, please complete the tour evaluation form. Then click the "Submit by Email" button at the top of the form. You may also fax the form to 703-572-6817.