Highway Noise Wall Policy and Program Information
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority has adopted a policy regarding highway noise along the Dulles Toll Road. The policy and appendices are available for download.
Here is a chronology of the Dulles Toll Road Highway Noise Policy:
- Development of the Highway Noise Policy began in early 2010.
- A public workshop was held in June 2010 and the Draft Highway Noise Policy was released for public comment.
- The Final Highway Noise Policy was adopted by the MWAA Board of Directors in February 2011
- The Highway Noise Policy was modified in mid-2011 to reflect comments from the Federal Highway Administration and new Virginia Department of Transportation guidance.
- The Revised Highway Noise Policy was adopted by the MWAA Board of Directors in February 2012 (see links to documents below).
Please visit this webpage for future updates and document postings.
Links to Webpages and Documents
Policy Documents - Current
- Full text of the Final Highway Noise Policy (Adopted February 2011; Revised 2012)
- Appendices to the Noise Policy (Adopted February 2011; Revised 2012)
Additional Information - updated November 2012
- Dulles Toll Road Highway Sound Measurement and Noise Barrier Analysis - Final 2012 Report (20MB, PDF)
- Dulles Toll Road Highway Sound Measurement and Noise Barrier Analysis - 2012 Appendices (23MB, PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions brochure (2MB, PDF format)
- Science of Highway Noise (1MB, PDF format)
- Slideshow about the noise wall program, including maps (22MB, PowerPoint show)
- Slideshow about the noise wall program, without maps (5MB, PDF) Click here to view the maps (5MB, PDF)
Policy Development Documents (Archive)
- Report on 2010 Public Comments - includes full text of comments received
- Information Exhibit: The Science of Highway Noise
- Response to 2010 Comments - Frequently asked Q&A’s (September 2010)
- 2010 Public Workshop exhibits (June 2010)
- Public Notice of June 10, 2010 Workshop (Note: workshop was completed)