The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) conducts a wide variety of environmental studies to identify potential environmental impacts associated with proposed development projects. These studies are done in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969, the regulations of the President's Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) for NEPA compliance, and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Orders 1050.1F and 5050.4B.
NEPA requires federal agencies to consider a wide array of potential environmental effects when proposing actions including: noise; compatible land use; social and socioeconomic characteristics; air quality; water quality; geology and soils; historic, architectural, archaeological, and cultural resources; biotic communities; endangered and threatened species; wetlands; floodplains; coastal zone management; coastal barriers; wild and scenic rivers; prime and unique farmland; energy; light emissions; visual aesthetics; solid waste, hazardous waste, and pollution prevention; and design, art, and architecture. These studies are decision-making tools that analyze the potential environmental effects of a proposed action and its alternatives and provide a forum to address both regulatory and public concerns.
Because NEPA is a federal law, compliance with NEPA is ultimately the responsibility of the FAA. However, as the project sponsor, MWAA is responsible for identifying the need for the proposed action, developing alternatives, and preparing the environmental documentation for FAA approval.
For additional information regarding the NEPA process, contact the Airports Authority Office of Engineering, Planning Department, at 703-417-8140.
- Notice of Availability and Public Workshop - Draft Programmatic Environmental Assessment for IAD Western Lands
- Notice of Public Scoping Workshop - DCA Roadway Network Improvements Draft Environmental Assessment
- DCA Terminal B/C Redevelopment, Secure National Hall, and Related Improvements Final EA/FONSI November 2016
- Police Range and Training Facility Final EA and FONSI September 2015
- IAD Fuel and Convenience Concession Site Final EA and FONSI February 2016
Other projects: View EIS Archives